save text from pdf to SQL

Feb 15, 2013 at 3:58 AM
I have a project for work and what I would like to do is use some PDF forms that we fill out and save the data to SQL and then do a search for them by warranty number, call takers ID number, or by a customer name. After the search return comes back and we'll say we get multipule results I can select one of the return and it populates the PDF with the information and I can then print or update the PDF if need be
Will the PDF libray allow me the functions I need to do these tasks.

Thank you very much
~MARSH889~
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM
What you need for your requirements is not a PDF library, you can achieve your goals simply by using FDF (a file format that contains data from a PDF form); with FDF you can get the data out from the form and populate it back in the form. Look at the documentation on FDF on Adobe developer's website.

Good luck,
Charles.
Feb 15, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Hello Charles,

I checked out the FDF and I think the best way to go (if they had the money) would be a LiveCycle Server/ Enterprise or something to that effect.

How about this..
I have some forms built and the data going to SQL I would like to search for the data, return it to .NET and then print the infomation to my PDFs.
Will the library work for this?

Thanks a lot
~MARSH889~
Coordinator
Feb 16, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Hello, no sorry the library will not help you with this.

I suggest that once you get your data in .NET, all you have to do is create the FDF with the data in it using .NET, the FDF format is relatively simple. In the FDF you can link the data to the PDF form, so when a user click on the FDF file, it opens the PDF and shows it with the data in the proper fields. You can also open the PDF to the user programmatically in .NET by using a shell command.

Charles.